Newest Member of the Appropriations Committee!
Dear Neighbor, March 6th, 2023
It is my honor to continue to serve the Speaker of the House on the Appropriations Committee!
This committee is responsible for some of the most important matters to our State. The Appropriations Committee’s issue areas include the State operating and capital budgets, higher education institutions, collective bargaining, social services, and numerous other areas critical to our State’s operations. Due to the nature of these policy sectors, I am especially honored to have been trusted with this assignment from the Speaker. Throughout my entire career, I have prided myself on my steadfast commitment to integrity, trustworthiness, and responsibility; these qualities will never be more important than while directly entrusted with managing tax payer dollars. I am excited for this placement, and I look forward to bringing a strong female voice to the Appropriations Committee.
These policy areas are critical to District 30a and Anne Arundel County! Our County is home to some of the State’s largest employers, including Fort Meade, the Government agencies of the State of Maryland, and the BWI Airport. Additionally, we are home to Anne Arundel County Community College, a State leader in nursing and computer systems degrees, with over 26,044 enrolled students.
In addition to my new committee assignment, the Speaker of the House has appointed me to the Joint Committee on Administrative, Executive, & Legislative Review. I’m honored to be appointed to this select body of 20 members of the Maryland General Assembly, and I’m excited for this unique opportunity to serve Maryland!
This Committee functions as the watchdog of the General Assembly in overseeing the activities of the State agencies as they relate to regulations. It reviews proposed State agency regulations to ensure they are meeting the proposed goal and legislative intent. Additionally, the AELR committee periodically evaluates existing regulations as well as alleged failure of State officers to comply with Maryland statute or constitutional law.
☘️ 2023 Annapolis St. Patrick’s Day Weekend!
This is always one of my favorite weekends of the year! As always, we got things started off right! Thank you to John O’Leary for making the #NaptownHooley - Official Parade Kick-Off Party amazing. Fantastic music, delicious food & the very best of friends! What a great lead up to the main event, the parade!
☘️My Irish eyes couldn’t stop smiling Sunday, thank you #Annapolis for a tremendous turnout for the Annapolis St. Patrick's Parade! It was my family’s honor to walk with Warrior Events! I again partnered with a local cause to help bring attention & raise funds for an excellent cause! Click here to help the Veterans in your community!
Women’s Caucus Legislative Priorities
It has been a busy few weeks for the Maryland General Assembly’s Women’s Caucus!
As a member of the Women’s Caucus Executive Committee, I was so proud to participate in our legislative priority press conference. On Thursday 2/23, our Caucus had breakfast with Governor Moore and his administration to officially unveil our priorities after months of collaboration. We look forward to seeing our supported legislation make it to the Governor’s desk!
See below for the full list of supported legislation: Childcare for All: HB 547 - Family Prosperity Act of 2023 HB 495 - Early Childhood Development - Child Care Scholarship Program - Funding Healthcare: HB705 - Right to Reproductive Freedom HB808 - Reproductive Health Protection Act HB812 - Reproductive Health Services - Protected Information and Insurance Requirements HB376 - Health Insurance – Diagnostic and Supplemental Examinations for Breast Cancer – Cost–Sharing Criminal Justice: HB4 - Sexual Crimes - Repeal of Spousal Defense HB64 - Office of the Attorney General - Correctional Ombudsman
Black Tie and Diamonds with Rotary Annapolis
Congratulations to the Rotary Club of Annapolis for a beautiful & successful Black Tie & Diamonds! This year benefiting the Annapolis Police Foundation which works to strengthen relationships between Annapolis residents through community engagement.
Women’s History Month Programming and Events
In honor of Women’s History Month, I will be highlighting local programming and events throughout March. These events will recognize the incredible contributions women have made to our Country and State!
- Hands-On History Day: Women Getting It Done, Sunday, March 12th, 99 Main Street from 10AM-2PM - Meet and talk with our special guest: Barbara Hopkins! Barbara was the first female police officer and first female police Captain in the City of Annapolis (special opportunity between 11 am and 1 pm). Kids will also learn about how Suffragettes secured the right to vote and can create their own rosette. *$5 GA, free for children under 17.
- Hear Me Roar! Legacy of the Suffragettes – Wednesday, March 16 at 6:30 PM at Busch Annapolis Library -- Risking insult, abuse, imprisonment and death, women fought for the right to vote for centuries all over the world. Learn about their history and legacy. Talk about books that tell the story and do a craft that reminds us of these brave women.
- Women on the Chesapeake - Elktonia, Carr's Beach, & Sparrow Beaches, Annapolis MD – Saturday, March 19 at 2 PM at Busch Annapolis Library - Learn about the history of major Chesapeake Bay resorts that catered exclusively to African Americans between the 1930s and the 1960s. You will also be invited to ask questions and share your own experiences.
- Women in Space – Thursday, March 24 at 6:30 PM at Broadneck Library - Join local Solar System Ambassador, Daryl Cooke, at the Broadneck branch, as she discusses women in space, celebrating accomplishments and contributions of women in the space program.
- Author Helaine Becker Presents "Pirate Queen: A Story of Zheng Yi Sao" – Wednesday, March 30 at 4 PM at Discoveries: the Library at the Mall - An elementary age program about the most powerful pirate in history. Becker will join us virtually in the program room for a watch party & there will be a craft to follow the presentation.
Expect Delays for Annapolis Running Festival
I want to remind residents of relevant road closures on the morning of Saturday, March 11, 2023 for the Annapolis Running Festival. The Festival will include a 5K race, a 10K race and a half marathon. Closures will begin at approximately 6:45AM and all street closures should be complete by 10:30 a.m.
Parking on area roads will not be affected along the route. Parking along Main St. and King George St. will not be impacted. Sidewalk closures are not planned. There will be a traffic detour to downtown via Rowe Boulevard, around the Navy-Marine Corps Memorial Stadium. Police will be stationed at the Rowe intersections (Farragut Road/Rowe Boulevard and Herbert Sachs/Rowe Boulevard) to direct vehicles. Throughout the time of this event, use extra caution on downtown roadways and follow police direction.
Hoops for Hope🏀
Come by Hoops for Hope on Sunday, March 19th for a family friendly game in support of The George Phillips Jr. Recovery Community Center! Click here for more information and to buy tickets! 🏀
2023 Anne Arundel County Car Seat Checks
Make sure you and your child are safe with AACPD’s 2023 car seat checks! See below for details and to get them on your calendar!
Women’s History Month Reading List
Choose your next read from our lists of books about women's history!📚
- Check out our booklists for kids, teens, and adults.
- Download books by women in eBook and eAudiobook formats to enjoy instantly using Overdrive/Libby and Cloud Library.
- Looking for more books written by female authors? Use NoveList’s “Advanced Search” feature to generate a list of books by gender identity.
House of Ruth Donations Success!!
Additionally, we are proud to announce the results of our Martin Luther King Jr. Day of Service clothing drive in support of House of Ruth!
Over the past month, we collected over a thousand articles of women’s and children's clothing to support their efforts to provide victims with the services necessary to rebuild their lives safely and free of fear. I am so proud of everyone’s efforts, and thank you to everyone who donated!
If you would like to Donate to the House of Ruth, please click here!
You can follow me on Facebook, Twitter, and Instagram to learn about volunteer opportunities, community resources, legislative updates and much more. If you have any questions or concerns, you can always contact my office by email at Dana.Jones@house.state.md.us or by phone at 410-841-3211.
Stay safe and healthy,
Delegate Dana Jones
District 30A, Annapolis & Anne Arundel County